The PHOENIX staff came away from the Illinois College Press Association convention Feb. 17 with 23 awards and honors, including second place in general excellence, or second-best collegiate newspaper in Illinois.
Editors submitted content published between December 2016 and December 2017 for consideration in the open category and the category for schools with non-daily newspapers and enrollment over 4,000.
In the open category, which includes all Illinois collegiate newspapers regardless of enrollment size, The PHOENIX earned five awards. In the category for non-dailies with a student enrollment over 4,000, the group took home 18 awards, compared to 10 in 2016.
The group earned second place overall in the general excellence category, with The Columbia Chronicle from Columbia College Chicago earning first place.
In addition to four first place awards in various sports categories and another first place in the editorial category, The PHOENIX earned first place in the special supplement category for its special issue on gun violence published in 2017.
See the complete list of awards below:
- Editorial: As Semester Runs Out, No Sign of Sexual Assault Survey, 2016-17 Editorial Board
- Special Supplement: After the Bullet, 2016-17 Staff
- Sports Feature Story: Brothers Bond on the Court, Henry Redman, sports editor
- Sports Column: Chillin’ With Dylan: 1963 Team Only the Beginning, Dylan Conover, former assistant sports editor
- Sports Game Story: Ramblers Season Comes to a Disappointing End, Dylan Conover, former assistant sports editor
- Sports Page Design: Madeline Kenney
- Editorial: Campus Safety’s Lack of Transparency Misrepresents the Community’s Crime Rate, Editorial Board
- General Excellence: Staff
- Podcast: Week of November 15, Staff
- Multimedia Reporting: A Look Back at the Loyola Lakefill, Mary Norkol and Christopher Hacker, assistant news editors
- In-Depth Reporting: Loyola Campus Safety Reports a Fraction of Crimes Compared to CPD, Christopher Hacker, assistant news editor
- Sports Photo: Nick Schultz, assistant sports editor
- In-House Promotional Advertisement: Blanca Vega, former graphic designer
- Sports Column: Mad Thoughts: Moser’s Coaching Style can Hurt Players’ Confidence, Madeline Kenney, former sports editor
- Front Page Layout: Grace Runkel, former editor in chief
- Sports Feature Story: 1963 Championship Team More Than a Happy Memory, Dylan Conover, former assistant sports editor – sports feature story category for non-dailies with enrollment over 4,000
- Podcast: Week of November 29, Staff
- Spot News Photo: Christopher Hacker, assistant news editor
- Critical Review: Tony Award Winning Play a Technological Masterpiece, Nick Coulson, former assistant arts and entertainment editor
- Sports News Story: Former Loyola Men’s Golfer Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for 2013 Rape, Madeline Kenney, former sports editor
- Column (excluding sports): Dreamers Shouldn’t be Punished for their Parents’ Choice, Sasha Vassilyeva, contributor