Men's Soccer

Loyola Men’s Soccer Plays Drake to 3-3 Draw on Senior Day

Alanna Demetrius | The PhoenixLoyola midfielder Justin Sukow dribbles the ball upfield.

The Loyola men’s soccer team (8-3-3, 3-1-3) played to a 3-3 draw against Drake University on Senior Day Sunday afternoon at Loyola Soccer Park.

This is the Ramblers’ second straight double-overtime tie this week. The first came in a 0-0 draw against Bradley University Oct. 23 in Peoria. 

The game started with the team honoring its seniors Aidan Megally, Chase Wright and Marius Kullmann before their penultimate home match. However, the Ramblers would soon find themselves down two goals following a pair of Drake goals at the end of the first half. 

Drake’s first goal came on a counter-attack by junior forward Leroy Enzugsi in the 21st minute to put Drake up by one. The second goal came off a deflection inside the box put into the back of the net by Drake graduate student forward Austin Smythe in the 44th minute, which put Drake ahead 2-0 at halftime. 

“Give Drake a lot of credit,” Loyola head coach Neil Jones said after the game. “They got those two early goals and put us under a lot of pressure and threw down the gauntlet to us.” 

Loyola failed to find the back of the net for a majority of the game until sophomore midfielder Billy Hency ripped a shot outside the box finding the back of the net in the 77th minute to bring Loyola within one. 

Loyola junior midfielder Justin Sukow went on to score off a deflection by the goalie in the 79th minute to tie the game 2-2. Five minutes later, Megally put the Ramblers up 3-2 with an 84th-minute penalty kick.

Stephanie Miller | Loyola PhoenixSophomore winger Billy Hency dribbles the ball against Missouri State Sept. 22. Stephanie Miller | Loyola Phoenix

“Once we got one, we knew we were gonna get two,” Megally said. “[On the penalty], I tried to keep a clear mind and put it where I wanted to put it. We were fortunate to come back and go 3-2 up.”

Loyola only held the lead momentarily, though, as Smythe found the back of the net in the 86th minute for the second time in the game to tie the game at three apiece.

As the game headed to overtime, neither team was able to score even though Loyola had a 6-1 shot advantage in extra time. Both teams left the pitch with a point following the double-overtime tie, rather than either team earning three points with a win. 

“[It was] unbelievable determination by our guys to not allow the other guys to win,” Jones said. “We said at halftime that we would never give up and we’d fight. We had the lead there for a short while, but disappointed to not hold on to the win. But at 2-0 down, a point is not a bad result.” 

The Ramblers are set to play their final home game of the season against the University of Evansville Wednesday night. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN+.

(Visited 171 times, 6 visits today)
Next Story