Stuck at Home: Day 34

Adrian Nevarez | The PhoenixIt's been a long month inside. There isn't much to switch up when it comes to things to do all day.

As we all stay home and practice social distancing during this pandemic, many people have created a schedule to remain active and feel like they’ve accomplished something. I’m not the type of person to create a schedule to plan out my day at home but I’ve found myself living the same day over and over. 

Tuesday, April 14. 

8 a.m.

Time to wake up 10 times in five-minute intervals of “snooze.” 

Slowly formulate an idea of what I’m doing today as I shuffle to and from the living room to set up my 9-year-old laptop on my bed. 

8:30 a.m.

It’s been more than two weeks of working from home, so I’ve already figured out how to get all my work done without leaving my bed. 

For the next couple hours, I work on public relations tasks for my internship while also taking “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” breaks when things get a little overwhelming. I remember to move my cursor every 10 minutes so I don’t appear inactive while working remotely. 

11 a.m.

My stress has gotten to a level even Kris Jenner couldn’t handle, which means it’s time for coffee. I put on my shoes and jacket to leave the apartment, before remembering to grab my face mask. 

I’m wary to touch any doorknobs as I leave my apartment. Grabbing them with only my fingertips, I use my shoulder to push the door open. The weather is a lot warmer today and I don’t need my jacket, but it’s probably better to keep it on. 

It’s impossible not to pass anyone on the way to Dunkin’ but the usual shoulder grazes no longer happen as people pass each other on the sidewalk. 

Arriving at the coffee shop, I stand on the lines marked on the floor to keep a six-foot distance from the other customers. No one stays, everyone takes their drink and leaves. 

11:30 a.m. 

As soon as I get back into my apartment, I wash my hands, making sure to scrub the coronavirus off as much as I can. Coffee fuels me while I finish work for my internship. 

1 p.m.

Since Loyola has switched all classes to online instruction, my commute from home to class has gone from 45 minutes to however long it takes my laptop to wake up. 

It’s strange to think I used to sit in a class with these people I only see online now. On the bright side, class isn’t too bad from the comforts of your own bed. 

4 p.m.

After making it through my classes, I ransack my kitchen only to discover there’s absolutely nothing to eat. 

Morse Market is a grocery store directly behind my apartment. As I head inside, once again donning my face mask, I notice that they finally restocked the toilet paper — a huge relief since I was on my last roll. 

It’s harder to keep your distance in cramped grocery aisles, so I have to avoid some areas until people clear out to get what I want from the shelves. I try to get out of there as fast as humanly possible since this is already the second time I’ve left my apartment. 

5 p.m.

Between binge-watching “Hell’s Kitchen” the last couple weeks and cooking all my meals, I’ve become quite the chef. 

I whip up some Kraft macaroni and cheese.

6 p.m.

It’s time to write this journal entry. 

8 p.m. 

I FaceTime my family every day to pray the rosary, a form of devotion that consists of repeating prayers. 

The rest of the call is filled with talking to my parents about my day while my younger brothers desperately try to get into frame on the phone’s screen. 

9 p.m.

The time has finally come where I’m able to fire up my PlayStation and play video games with my friends. 

As I went from seeing my friends every day to not seeing them for weeks, the time I spend playing games is important to me. It can be pretty intense spending so much time alone, hopping on a game helps me relieve stress. 

Being able to socialize and have fun with friends is a big help with keeping my healthy mental state. Most of my friends can be really competitive while playing games and focusing on winning takes my mind off other responsibilities I don’t want to think about… for a while.

10:30 p.m.

Existential terror sets in like a cold draft sweeping across the floor. I can’t stop thinking about all the assignments for class I still haven’t started. The thought of my career in the not-so-distant future leaves me crippled with anxiety. I have no money and I’ve been inside for too long. 

10:45 p.m.

Continue dominating in video games with the squad.

1 a.m.

It’s time to watch a movie until my eyes are too heavy to keep open, and I’m ready for day 34 of quarantine to end.

I wouldn’t say I’m ready for day 35 but I’m hoping in the near future we can start living our somewhat normal lives again. 

(Visited 627 times, 1 visits today)
Next Story